In today’s environment everyone should use safety equipment such as safety glasses, masks, and gloves. However, the basic definition of a safety device is a mechanical device that can sometimes fail. In the event of a failure and you become exposed. Do you know what to do? Notify the proper authorities; know the location of your Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and how to use them. A Material Safety Data Sheet is a document that contains information on the chemical make-up, use, storage, handling, emergency procedures and potential health effects related to a hazardous material. The purpose of the MSDS is to inform you of the following:
- The material’s chemical make-up.
- The material’s physical properties or fast acting health effects that make it dangerous to handle.
- The level of protective gear you need to wear to work safely with the material.
- The first aid treatment to be provided when someone is exposed to the material.
- The preplanning needed for safely handling spills, fires, and day-to-day operations.
- How to respond to accidents.
Learn how to locate the chemicals in your MSDS and where the find the emergency response procedures. It would be a good idea to prepare your self prior to any accident by following the emergency response procedures. Highlighting this information in case of an emergency would be very helpful for you, your safety specialist, or doctor if ever needed.